Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Saturday, October 17, 2009

First jack-o-lantern sightings of the season

Today was the day, the day of carving. Ro and Ree finally got to show off their pumpkin slashing skills. I cut off the tops and confirmed that these specimens did indeed have hollow insides, then they scooped, drew with sharpies, and sawed away with those teeny little orange-handled pumpkin utensils. (Well actually TubaDad and I sawed and the girls "helped" by grabbing our hands and jerking them enthusiastically back and forth. It made things a little challenging, but I am happy and a little surprised to report that no injuries were sustained during this endeavor.) DSC_5840LRs DSC_5868LRs DSC_5870LRs DSC_5844LRs2 I post-processed this one in Lightroom with an antique wash: DSC_5892LRs2 I think the girls' first jack-o-lanterns of the season turned out really cute! Ro's pumpkin is on the left, and the fact that the nose is above the eyes just kills me. Ree's is on the right, and she took her face-creation very seriously. Studying it for a long time and then deciding it needed eyebrows. DSC_5924LRs They could not wait to get in the attic and start hauling out Halloween decorations. Crazy kids. (And I can't believe I'm actually showing a picture of the trainwreck that is our garage. TubaDad is going to kill me.) Psst, Catherine, do you see the two full bins of shoes with your name on them? The girls just jumped up another size (they're measuring at 10.5 now, crimony) and I had to buy all new shoes... Good news for Hannah! DSC_5918LRs They hauled one big box into the house while chanting "Teamwock, teamwock, teamwock!" DSC_5929LRs They were pretty proud of their creations: DSC_5948LRs Cute little pumpkins (all four of them). By the way, Ree is in yellow and Ro is in pink: DSC_5957LRs We went out for Chinese food later in the evening, and halfway through dinner noticed that Ro had a pumpkin seed stuck to her arm. Ha!! We couldn't believe that thing had hung in there for hours. When we came home, it was pitch dark and the lit pumpkins were waiting for us. You should have heard the squealing in our van! Ro and Ree jumped out and immediately posed next to their creations. Side note: did you ever get two four-year-olds to hold still for a slow-shutter-speed night picture? Um, yeah, me neither... DSC_5966LRs This picture actually came out completely black, but I bumped the exposure wayyyyy up in post processing and kind of liked the neat Halloweeny effect: DSC_5968LRs Boo!

19 comments:

  1. Looks like sooooooooo much fun!!! Lovin' the scary pumpkin family portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have so much fun with every little thing. Which is why I've decided: we're coming to live with you. Hope that's okay! We should be there in a few days - see you soon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute punkins...all four of them!

    I like the spooky family photo. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS job, girls!!!! Looks like you all had a great time!! We're looking forward to our Jillian carving her first pumpkin!! Maybe next year??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon (CA)10/17/2009

    Gotta love carving pumpkins! Tell the girls they did a fabulous job! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I've avoided the pumpkin carving for so long! I looks like you had fun. thinking I might try it this year now. thanks for the inspiration. Happy birthday. Lily and Kate's is the 5th!
    :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE them!!! The pumkins are super cute and the enthusiasm the girls have is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the previous commenter...we're moving in! Looks like so much fun and you have a great view from where your pumpkins are sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun to relish in pumpkin goo! What did you use to light the jack-o-lanterns? They seem to have a colored hue. We are hoping the rain will hold off so we can go to the patch today.

    -Heather
    www.godzeera.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/18/2009

    nice pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun pumpkin carving. And I love all the cool editing you added. I just got Lightroom and can't wait to get into it. Your antique wash is inspiring me.

    BTW. how did you light those pumpkins?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pumpkin carving pictures! I had to laugh at the way Ree pinches her mouth when she's concentrating, reminds me so much of my Sophie when she was working on mooncakes the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lights are these cool battery-operated blinking, rotating color lights:

    http://www.howlerbrands.com/products/pumpkinlights.html

    I picked them up at a local drugstore, either Long's or Walgreen's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10/18/2009

    Just an FYI here!
    You can use a magic eraser on those jacko-lanterns once they are done to get rid of those sharpie lines! It works really well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! The faces they made are scary. Funny too. Love them lit up. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love looking at your girls. They are so darn cute. I'm sure you have your moments with them, but thru the glorious WWW, they look pretty darn loveable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun!! Punkim carving is work but the creations are so cool and it's neat for the kids to be able to enjoy them! How fun to come home and see them lit and waiting for them!

    So many great pics here of a day filled with fun...and yummy pumpkin seeds. Might just need to find me a pumpkin purely for the seeds. ya...that's what I need....one more thing 'to do'....NOT!!!

    Oooo...shoes for Hannah!! Thanks!! We'll have to come pick them up!! :o)

    Your cuties are totally adorable! Still have their message on my answering machine and it makes me grin from ear to ear every time I hear it!!

    Love you sweetie! Boo to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those pumpkins! They did a great job.

    ReplyDelete