Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Getting out of my photography rut

I’m taking an online photography class called Push Past Your Comfort Zone from the fab Lisa at The Long Road to China. We’re halfway through week one and it is already funfunfun. Partly because Lisa is just plain awesome, but also because the other women taking the class are too.

Our assignment this week focused on Depth of Field (DOF), specifically deep and shallow. In a very non-techie nutshell “deep DOF” means the whole picture is in focus and “shallow DOF” means that only one part of the picture is in focus and the rest of the picture is blurred.

Here are my first snaps (taken a few minutes before gymnastics today) and the text I submitted with them to the group:

1) Shallow depth of field: was trying to get a shot of one flower but my photographer's assistant stepped over me and her glitter shoes and colorful snagged tights were more interesting anyhow. I think I needed more distance between her and the flowers to get better blurring. Nikon 35mm 1.8 on D300, 1/8000s at f/2.0, ISO 160.
DSC_1648LRps

2) Shallow DOF: 30mm Sigma 1.4 lens on the D300, 1/4000s at f/2.5, ISO 160.DSC_1697LRps

3) Was trying to get some deep DOF of the backyard. This one is with the 35mm Nikon 1.8 lens on the D300, 1/320s, f/18, ISO 500.DSC_1603LRps

What you can’t see in my creatively cropped photo above, by the way, are all the discarded clothes on the lawn (I swear, it seems like Ro and Ree leak clothing), the zipline cutting across the yard behind my head, two or three up-ended pink scooters and bikes on the walkway, an old yellow Easter bucket that I think has been there since last year, and the kitchen rug that apparently got thrown outside and forgotten in the midst of kitchen demolition.

Yay! If I have more time tomorrow (or I go anywhere more exciting than the backyard) I’ll try to take some more. It is so great to see what everyone else is doing and read about how they’re doing it.

~~~

If you want to learn more about your camera and have some fun with other beginning photographers, Lisa has opened up registration for her popular Get Out of the Auto Zone class that’s starting in May. It’s a 4-week class and happens over the internet, so no travel required. There are still a few spots open.

16 comments:

  1. Awesome! Lisa is a great teacher and easily describes how to get the effects she's challenging you to accomplish. In my case, obtaining those results was less than stellar but my goal this summer is to pull out my DSLR more and try to work on what I learned in November. I found the challenge being natural light as truly I only have that to work with on the weekends during the winter. Now that spring is here...no more excuses!

    The pics you took are beautiful! Had to laugh at your descriptions! Princesses have many gowns to wear so they must change often, and wear many layers! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just need to come to California to practice with a friend in beautiful lighting. Hee!!!

      Delete
  2. Well to be honest, who would want to leave the house with that view anyway?! Enjoy your class. Lisa is great! I'm pretty sure I have said this before but you are one of the first people who inspired me to get a camera and start this journey. I remember you posted bathtub pics of your girls and their feet were in focus but the rest was blurred and I remember thinking " I want to be able to do that!" I thought it was the coolest thing : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I didn't know that! So cool. :-) I totally remember that bathtub pic, by the way.

      Delete
  3. Am also taking that class and it has been so much fun! I feel like I am learning so much from Lisa and all of the others posting! Love your photos and commentary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun!! I'll look for your name in our group!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4/19/2012

    Oh, how fun that you're taking a class from Lisa. I've always loved her photos & blog! Excited to see the projects you do. Great job, M! I always enjoy your photos - you're so creative!!!

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Seriously, I need to do this. I have a great camera and am often frustrated that the pictures aren't that good. I am so afraid I am not going to be able to understand or remember what I learn. I will check into it. Maybe I will be brave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurel and Jane -- thanks!

    Lisa has an online class called "Get out of the auto zone" that is really great and so helpful. I know a lot of friends who have taken it. You can see the descrip here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very sweet to give me a shout out..... and I will admit, when you emailed me last month to say you wanted to sign up, I let out a little "HOORAY"..... I knew you would be a great addition to the group. You are so much fun and you know we all LOVE to see photos of the cutest duo around!!!

    Tell Catherine, I will bring the red wine, she just needs to bring her camera and her cutie:))

    Thanks again M3 for the kind words and the plug.... it is greatly appreciated!

    xo,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so very fun to be in class with you and find your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4/19/2012

    Your backyard is pretty exciting...never seen one so beautiful. It looks like a vacation spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne4/19/2012

    I did one of Lisa's classes last year and learnt soo much, i would really recommend. Your photos are always fantastic and only wish I was half as good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to take Lisa's class! I love her photography! Hopefully I will get the funds to take it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man...I want to take Lisa's class too!! How cool would that be? Maybe for my birthday in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I just emailed Lisa and got into the Get Out of the Auto Zone class for May. Thanks for the info...

    ReplyDelete