We usually meet up with the local FCC group for our annual Moon Festival, but this year felt like doing our own thing. So the girls and I went on a Dollar Tree and Michael’s shopping trip for lantern supplies, then invited a few folks to a little park near our house where we all had picnic dinners, made lanterns, shared mooncakes and other desserts, and hung out.
The night was a big success, with one tiny absence: The Moon! Did you know that the moon rises 30 minutes later every night? I do now... and will check the moon calculator next time.
Anyhow, if you want to make your own lanterns, here are the instructions Ro and I made and printed out for the kiddos (click and print):
We Brought These Supplies:
- Colored cardstock (2 reams, Michael’s)
- Stamps and washable ink pads (Michael’s has cute Chinese characters)
- Stickers (Dollar store)
- Bag of tinsel stuff from the party section (Dollar store)
- Staplers and extra staples (had already)
- Tape (had it)
- Scissors (Dollar store, bought enough so each kiddo had one)
- Felt Pens (had them)
- Patterned wrapping paper (dollar bin at Michael’s)