Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What they were doing while I was on the computer

The girls were suspiciously quiet at the art table yesterday while I typed furiously in the office. Normally this would have raised a few hackles, but I had a deadline to meet and didn't have time to worry about it. Ro didn't make a peep, and Ree ran back and forth for a little while yelling that she wanted to know how to spell "cupboard" and asking me each letter about five times. It took a loooooooong time. Man that is a big, annoying word to airspell across the house. Anyhow, after a slightly nervewracking twenty minutes, I raced into the kitchen, did a lightning-fast assessment, and was amazed to find that the Hubei Wrecking Crew hadn't destroyed one single thing while I was busy. What's more, Ro had made a little "book" in that time. She stapled a few papers together, wrote a bunch of words that I didn't know she knew, and drew some pictures. Is it just me, or does the pint-sized author look kind of smug?: DSC_2620LR See cat on mat: DSC_2621LR Pan: DSC_2624LR No top (wait, what? oh whatever): DSC_2625LR Cab: DSC_2626LR No (hm, perhaps I said that word too many times today?): DSC_2628LR When the heck did she learn to write words?! She really knew what she was doing too. I know, because I thought she had just written random letters that made accidental words. But when quizzed, she could spell all of those words out loud too. Little sweetie. She was so proud it was adorable. Ro has been dying to learn to read for a few months now, and is just SoClose. By the way, Ree can't spell anything yet and has less-than-zero interest in reading, but that kiddo is funny. I went to the cupboard/pantry for a Cheez-Its run, and saw this smeary little Post-It taped in the middle of the door. Remember that word we were airspelling together? Well you can see it if you look really hard: DSC_2672LR Hee! You know I'm never taking that off, right? DSC_2671LR Love them. PS: Maybe I'm crazy, but Ree's thumb seems to look a little worse than it did this weekend. It's kind of bumming me out. It looked great on Saturday and Sunday and I'm wondering if that was because the old medicine that we were using on Wed-Fri (the heavy duty steroid cream Mometasone Furoate) was working? And now that we've switched back to the Mupirocin we're backtracking? Ugh. I'll try to get another picture of it tomorrow. We have a followup pediatric dermatologist appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks and I might need to bump it up.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! The girls are so grown up! I haven't stopped by in forever. Things got a little crazy with my move 1/2 way across the country :)

    Glad things are going well. I have lots of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Spee (Netherlands, and loving your blog!)3/24/2010

    AWESOME!!! I have an almost six-year-old, and he knows some letters, but words? He can't yet make the connection that, put together, letters become words. And his older brother made that connection at almost six - Ro is really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved it when my girls started writing and reading. So exciting. I am getting quite the collection of notes and I love all of 'm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! That book and sticky note are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Mary Joyce is very into writing letters and words right now. I really think she'll be reading before too much longer. Pretty fun stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading and writing all ready?! Sheesh. You have a future bookworm on your hands.

    Love the cupboard note! I think that is fantastic. She really is a thoughtful girl. Now you don't have to remember what it was called. That is one less thing for you to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the note. Definitely something to keep on the cupboard forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/24/2010

    Ro is so ready to read--teach her! There is great phonics material available. Ree will follow.

    (A former primary teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! Smarty pants girls!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ro's book is adorable! It's a little window into what she is thinking about. Love it! Ree's note is priceless! Did you ask her what it said?

    ReplyDelete
  11. if it is dermatitis you need the steroid cream. Antibiotic will do nothing! If it is getting bad switch back!!

    And awesome spelling. We are working on the girls names right now and they are so excited to learn to spell and read, so seeing this makes me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cupboard label!
    When I first gave Martina post-it notes, I would find them all over the house with random letter written on them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading and writing just explodes overnight. I didn't even know my girls knew all their letter sounds yet and one morning they just started reading random words. Same with writing which was just chicken scratch and one day they presented me with a paper that said I AM A PONE (pony) clear as day, next to a beautiful drawing of a dolphin. It happened for us at exactly the same age as Ro and Ree are now - almost four and a half. No reading or phonics programs either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeyore3/24/2010

    Have the girls discovered Mo Willems's Elephant and Piggie books? And his new series, Cat the Cat? The books are for kids desperate to read on their own...before they actually can. Check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI!! I have been following your blog for years now, first time I have contacted you, you probably think I am a stalker, but I'm not. My china girl will be five in June and my son is five. They are six months apart, so it's like having twins, at least as close as I'm going get. Anyway, the reason why I am contacting you is that my son just showed me his fingers and some look very similar to your daughters. Same thing, doesn't itch or hurt, peeling, red. He has about 5 of his fingers including thumbs that are like this. Strange. I am a little skeptical too about a staph infection. How is her thumb doing now? I guess I'll be taking him to the doctor soon. Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one. I'll keep you posted if I get any different news. Love your blog by the way, really funny. Keep it up. Amy out in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those girlies of yours are outrageous and definatey gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great!! Ro's book is wonderful and a real keeper! Who knew she could spell all of these words?

    Ree's note is the best! I love how kiddos just get all the letters down in any order and it's a word.

    Go girlies! You'll be reading in no time! So much for air spelling 'chocolate' then. They'll figure it out quicker than you can say 'Banana split' and you'll have to share. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Very impressed by Ro's book, all those words and the CUPBOARD. That is very cool. And interesting how Ree couldn't give a bother. You might want to look into readingeggs.com for Ro. Big Boy is just crazy nuts about it, and I bet Ro would really like it too. You can do a free month trial. We signed up for a year and got the Level 1 set of books (40 wee books, 4 workbooks, 4 maps with stickers) and I can actually use them as leverage to get Big Boy to move his butt when he is dillydallying etc. I never thought I'd be able to motivate someone by promising time on a phonics program!

    ReplyDelete