Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Friday, February 25, 2011

It rained on our parade!

Friends and family flew and drove to San Fran to see the Chinese New Year parade with us, and the weather was downright embarrassing. Oh well, we still had a good time hanging out with folks we love, despite days of pouring rain and icy temperatures, mind-numbing SF/holiday gridlock traffic, cancelled flights, and sicknesses. Actually, now that I look at that list they all seem to be adult irritations, I wonder if the kids even knew any of that was going on? (hang on, checking...) Nope, just asked them and Ree said “I liked it!” and Ro said “I liked the aquarium the best and the rain didn’t bother me at all.” Well there you have it.

Here are the snapshots (some with the Nikon, some with the purse cam, some with the cell phone, and some of Linda’s pics).

The drive to San Fran took many, many, many hours. It was brutal out there, and California drivers are anything but stellar when wetness is falling out of the sky:SAMSUNG

Once there, the kids were excited to see each other and played lots of games (electronic and imaginative):
IMG_0069LRIMG_0071LRIMG_0077LRIMG_0084LRIMG_0086LRIMG_0073LRIMG_0087LR

We had special seats on a bridge overlooking the parade route (brrrrrr!):IMG_0096LRIMG_0089LRIMG_0091LR

The kids bailed one by one. First Tate was freezing, then Tess needed to go get warmer clothes, then Ro and Ree fell asleep on our laps (in the middle of that din!):
IMG_0095LRIMG_0100LR

After we had all moved indoors, we figured out that we had great views (with room service!) of the parade from our warm, toasty rooms. The final lighted lion dance stretched over a few blocks:
SAMSUNGSAMSUNG

After seeing that, the kids somehow grabbed an old blanket and made their own lion. They ran up and down the hallway chanting “Dra-gon, dra-gon, dra-gon!” which was just hilarious:
IMG_0102LRIMG_0106LR

The next day dawned bright and sunny (of course, now that no one had to sit outside we saw plenty of Mr Sun), so we went to Fisherman’s Wharf:
DSC_2668LRIMG_8154LRDSC_2717LRDSC_2730LRIMG_0114LRIMG_0117LRIMG_0118LRIMG_8182LRIMG_0115LRIMG_0123LR

Julie and Tess had cancelled flights, so we were lucky to get an extra day to hang out with them.
DSC_2748LRDSC_2753LRDSC_2765LR

We had a great Chinese food dinner, then finished up the weekend with some icecream (hence Ree’s blue mouth) and bid everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!:
IMG_0124LR

Xīn Nián Kuài Lè, happy year of the rabbit!

15 comments:

  1. It was SOOO fun hanging out with you guys in spite of the rain and cold and that insane drive up to San Francisco that took almost 6 times longer than usual! I think we could have jumped on our bikes and made it there quicker.

    Out of curiosity, I just checked with my girls and they confirmed that last weekend was perfect and flawless so it's official that all of our complaints about weather and traffic were totally insignificant to them!

    I hope you guys had a fun week off school and enjoyed the 50% of fantastic weather before this miserable drizzle and the excitingly ridiculous (forecast) snowstorm! :)

    Donna
    Our Blog: Double Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your photos. One question though... who are those young women you keep taking pictures of, and where are your babies?

    What?

    (Sh. Don't bother me. I'm on a little getaway to the vacation house in Denial.)

    ~C~

    P.S. Today's CAPTCHA word is "glinch." You can say that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so bummed I couldn't make it! Next time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see a picture of the twins in front of the submarine! That's a must have!

    As usual, wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to bring in the new year, with lots of friends. Looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rain??? Was there rain? Nope, don't remember that... just had a wonderful time. Tate had a blast and still talks about her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite Mother Nature - looks like you all had a ball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a lot of fun despite the weather and traffic, but those things would have gotten on my nerves, too.

    I love seeing so many of my favorite families hanging out together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a bit irritated with the weather too, however, my dad said it was much better with the rain because there weren't nearly as many people to contend with. My daughter, who is obsessed with lion dancers and dragons, was in heaven. Other than dodging umbrella's in Chinatown and sitting on the cold, wet street to watch the parade, it was a complete blast! And my parents, showed us how to get the most out of the parade by visiting the line up ahead of time and then walking back to the beginning of the route. Great views, up close and personal visits with the floats, and lots of memories. We will definitely be back next year. I really miss my San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2/26/2011

    Great photo of the four of you with the tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) WHAT FUN!!! (cept the rain!) I thought it was sposed to be warm in CA?!!

    Great pics!! (as always!)

    Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I would say it looks like the kids had fun! Really cool that you could see the parade from your room and I LOVE their version of the dragon dance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you had so much fun. I hear ya about the rain....dang. Life is so much easier when the weather cooperates. We went to see my parents in their sunny town the same time. We got snow there. It rained too and it was freezing. I left my home for that and just entered what I left. heh. We still had fun though. And just like your girls, my kids didn't notice a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2/27/2011

    We had so much fun, thanks for your hospitality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Mia:
    I look out my window and see fog and snow. It is so drab and dreary here in the Midwest. But, all I have to do is click on your link and I see your beautiful girls in their bright clothes on your new header and it brightens my day.
    Thanks,
    Trish
    LID 8/25/05

    ReplyDelete