Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Not going to win any cooking awards this year

First: thank you all so much for the good wishes! I still feel cruddy, but I barely even notice it since you sent over so much love. And of course the kitties are hoping for another few days of illness so we can continue our marathon napping sessions. Second: now that I am a stay at home person I am getting all domesticacious and learning to cook. (Look out!) My attempt today is to make my mother-in-law's tuna salad (for sandwiches). But I need some quick help. It calls for 2 hard boiled eggs, and I don't boil eggs. I only ever use them raw in brownies, of course. So what the heck do you do? Put the eggs in the water cold or wait till it boils to put them in? How long do you boil them - 2 minutes? 20 minutes? How do you tell if they're done? What is that little red plastic egg supposed to do? So complicated! Now I remember why I only bake - baking is EASY, it's fun, and you can eat the batter before you cook something. Mmmmmm.... Oh yeah, back to the eggs. Please help! As a reward, I am including Ma's amazing texas tuna salad recipe: 1 6-ounce can tuna 1/4 cup dill pickles, chopped 3/4 medium apple, chopped 1/2 small onion, diced 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/2 cup chopped pecans 1/4 cup mayonnaise 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped Wash top of tuna can. Open and use lid to squeeze the juice out of the tuna fish. Discard juice. Flake the tuna in a medium bowl and add mayonnaise and pickle juice. Mix well. Add other ingredients except for boiled eggs and mix well. Add mayonnaise or pickle juice if needed for correct consistency or taste. Add boiled eggs and stir gently. Serve as a salad or as a sandwich filling.