Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Edible memories

Ran to the drugstore to pick up a prescription and found myself face-to-face with a snack food I haven't eaten in at least 25 years: Pik-Nik shoestring potatoes! Man, did they take me back. We used to have them every single time we went camping when I was a kid. I remember the funny camper we had that used to fit on top of my dad's truck. And the faux-refrigerator that was really just an insulated cabinet that we'd load up with frozen milk containers to keep it sorta cool. I remember the crude garden hose and kitchen funnel contraption that my folks threaded through a little hole between the truck's front seat and the camper so we could "talk" to them while en route. It didn't work at all, but hey we were kids and didn't know any better. We'd press it against our mouths, knock frantically on the window, and yell ourselves silly into that damn funnel: "Mommmm, Daaaaaaaad, I haaaaaaaave to goooooo to the baaaaaaaaathroom." And the folks would shake their heads comically and mouth back "What? We can't hear you..." I don't know how they kept a straight face while mocking us so mercilessly. Those two are masters I tell you! I also remember that back in the good 'ole days before seat belt laws my brother and I used to ride up in the top of that camper for hundreds of miles -- chins propped on elbows, feet dangling off the edge of the bed, watching the world go by. Gawd it was great. I guess you'd get arrested these days if you drove along with your kids rattling around unfettered in the back of a camper. I wonder what great memories we'll make with Funshine? Twenty years from now, will our kiddo be walking through a store and be stopped cold by a memory of some funky food we all used to love? Will our grown-up Funshine look back and laugh about the rockin' good times we had? I know, I know, we haven't even gotten our referral and I'm wondering about our kidlet in the year 2026. I guess I'm just weird that way. I blame my folks. And those thousands of Pik-Nik sticks I ate as a child. Heh. What cool memories do you have from your childhood? Any funky foods or smells that just take you right back there, no matter how old you get? ***By the way, the bell you see in the Pik-Nik picture is one we're using to try to teach Mango a new trick. My brother's puppy Harley can ring a bell on command, and we figured our brilliant Mango could do anything that damn smartie-pants dog could. Yeah... Click on the picture to see what Mango really thinks of our bell.