And here I promised it a few weeks ago... Oops.
I did a bunch of research and finally settled on the instructions at La Bodeguita Del Medio (where Hemingway used to get his mojitos) as the authoritative recipe. Then, of course, we modified the heck out of it (like we do with every single thing at our house) after much testing. Oh so much testing... heh heh.
Here's what we ended up with:
In a tall skinny glass, put:
- 3 teaspoons of regular sugar (we use finely granulated so it will dissolve easily)
- The juice of half a lime (just cut a lime in half and squash it so the juice drips into the glass, it should be enough to cover the sugar)
- 1 mint sprig broken in half (leaves plus stems—I know it looks ugly, but trust me on this one)
Muddle well (We have a muddler now, but when we didn't we took this to mean "squish well with a wooden spoon.")
- 3 jiggers of sparkling water (a jigger is that kinda biggish shot glass, it's 1.5 oz)
- 1 jigger of white rum
- 4 ice cubes (whole, not crushed)
Stir well and drink (I probably didn't need to say that last part, huh?). I like to use a straw with mine so I don't accidentally suck up any mint parts.