Every year we watch the Superbowl with family. Well some of us watch the game, the rest of us eat, talk, play, and watch the commercials... I fall into the latter category.
This year I tried a new recipe for appetizers – Pizza Puffs -- and they were gone so fast I didn’t even get a picture. Oops. Super easy to make, super popular, and next time I’m doubling the recipe.
Here’s a picture of what I was going for (picture credit Lick the Bowl). Mine looked similar, so just imagine that’s what we ate. Mmmm, wish I had a few more right now. That’s a great blog for recipes, by the way, check it out.
Pizza Puffs adapted from Lick the Bowl
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (if you don’t have this in your pantry, make your own by combining equal amounts of dried basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (the kind that’s in long pieces, instead of powder)
- 1 cup mini pepperoni pieces (they’re sold as teeny little rounds, so no need for cutting)
- 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease your mini-muffin pans (I used one 24-muffin pan and one 12-muffin pan). In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the batter and fill each mini-muffin cup about 3/4 full. I had enough batter for 28 mini muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.
4. If you’re feeding a crowd, double this recipe (at least). Just sayin...
After the game we had Superbowl Sundaes. Basically we set a long table with various icecream and topping choices and let everyone roll their own. Cheers!