Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Creamy white chicken chili

The girls and I are suckers for any food that’s creamy and white (actually I think the girls would exist solely on white foods if left to their own devices). So this creamy white chicken chili is a pretty easy sell around here. I’ve made it and modified it enough times now that the recipe suits our family to a T, and it’s going to be a great pre-candy dinner tomorrow before the main event.

DSC_0364LR

Creamy White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound chicken, cut into tiny pieces (I use precooked rotisserie or packaged pre-grilled chicken when I’m in a hurry)
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 cans (15oz ea) great northern beans (or cannellini beans, which is usually what I can find at our grocery store), rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14oz) chicken broth
  • 1 large can (8oz) chopped green chilis (mild or moderate, up to you), undrained
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper (add more if you like spice)
  • Dash of cayenne pepper (add more if you like spice)
  • 1 cup (8oz) sour cream (I use the light version)
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

  1. In a round dutch oven (or large, heavy saucepan), saute the oil, garlic powder, onion, and chicken until chicken is no longer pink. (If using precooked chicken, wait until the onions are soft, then add the chicken and stir for about a minute longer to warm.)
  2. Add the beans, broth, chilis, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and heavy cream.
  4. Serve with cornbread and apple wedges. Mmmm!

Pictures coming tomorrow of our ebullient trick or treaters. Any guesses on the costumes?

In the meantime, here’s oh-so-obliging Dusty, after Ro and Ree found a doggie pumpkin costume for $2.79 in the Michael’s clearance bin. You KNOW we had to get it at that price, right?

999516_595884607152211_173207444_n

9 comments:

  1. Yum! How much broth, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, did I forget that part? Will go fix it right now. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Looks like the perfect thing to make for Halloween!

      Delete
  2. I am SO making this tomorrow.

    You're going to flip when you see what I made for Sara's Halloween. Over the top...not what I had planned, but it's what came together. Just blogged it! Hmm...Ro and Ree. They are almost too leadership-like to be Minions. I'm guessing a strong, female heroine, but I'm not sure which one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! One hint: one's dreamy and one's dark...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10/31/2013

    Love the doggy costume. I'm assuming Dusty will also go trick or treating with Ro and Ree. Does the hamster also have a costume?

    Re the delicious looking and sounding soup: since you have experimented several times I am wondering if you think eliminating the dairy would make a huge difference in taste? I do not eat dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a regal-looking puppy-mutt like Dusty! I wonder if there is a way to make this chili in a crock pot. I would love to make it and just leave it on all day.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10/31/2013

    Thanks, M3!

    ReplyDelete