Home       About Us       Salsa Store       Referral       Lifebooks       Recipes       Videos       Blog Headers

Friday, February 10, 2006

Earning my chocolate smileys

Some of you (Lee-Anne!) noticed that I snuck a mention of birthdays into that last post so I might as well fess up. TubaDad and I are practically twins. He was born on the 9th and I was born on the 10th. In the same year. Funky, huh? Anyhow, with b-dates like that, you KNOW there is eating and celebrating a plenty in our house during the second week in Feb. This year was no exception. To ensure I was worthy of my chocolate-smiley-leavin' man, I attempted to make one of TubaDad's favorite dinners for his birthday (spaghetti and homemade meatballs), told him he didn't have to eat any broccoli, and even baked yellow cupcakes with chocolately chocolate chip frosting. AND I sucked it up and told him we could do whatever he wanted for his bday, so we woke at the crack of dawn to drive down the coast, got on a bus (busses rank slightly lower than colonoscopies in my book), spent the entire day at the Pebble Beach golf tournament, and ate at one of his favorite restaurants, Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing, for dinner. I'm sure my "world's greatest wife" trophy will be arriving any minute now. Heh. Ok, in the interest of complete and full disclosure I should probably tell you that I snuck in a massage at the Pebble Beach spa at 10am and a 30 minute nap at the oceanside 6th hole at 3pm, and it was 75 degrees and jaw-droppingly gorgeous down there on the Monterey peninsula. So even though the day was All About TubaDad, I guess what I went through wouldn't actually be classified as torture or anything... Anyhow, gotta run, I can't hear the doorbell from back here in the office and they might be delivering my trophy. In the meantime, here's my great aunt's meatball recipe. Sorry the picture looks kind of horrific. TubaDad inhaled these things and I didn't think to grab the camera until there was only one lonely little meatball sitting in his bowl. Oh and that white stuff is parmesan, he put it on, not me. Aunt Josie's Meatball Recipe (excrutiatingly simple, even someone like me can make them) 1 pound ground meat 1 egg 3/4 cup breadcrumbs 1/4 cup chopped parsley 2 tablespoons romano cheese (not shredded) dash of garlic powder (go easy on the garlic otherwise you lose the romano flavor) Shape into small balls. Bake @ 350 for 12-15 minutes (until slightly browned).